Saturday, July 19, 2014

An Offer I Can't Refuse


An English friend has made a ridiculously generous offer I can't refuse. I can stay in her London home while she's here in the States. The possibility of months with a British postcode makes me blind with joy. But, and isn't there always a but, reality slams me as I can't possibly leave my three indoor cats for such an extended time.

Non cat people don't know how attached cats are to their people-never mind how attached we are to them. They don't like change (hmmm, have an ex like that) and much prefer to be in familiar surroundings following a routine-the basic eat, nap, eat, nap, get into mischief, nap, eat regimen to which most cats adhere. Unless I can find a dependable live-in pet sitter, I must cobble together care relying on friends, other cat fanciers, and some paid help. The longest the boys have been left on their own were three weeks and that was only due to an unexpected stay in a hospital during a visit back home (which will be New York till my dying breath, regardless of where I live). Yes, they survived, but it was a difficult re-entry for us all.

So, I began to try on lengths of travel to the UK starting with eight weeks. The trip was whittled away week by week until I comfortably settled on five weeks, but when the time came to click that "confirm" button for my flights, four weeks was what I managed. Four weeks. Still, it will be my longest time in the UK on a single trip, ever. By my second week of fantasizing I knew there won't be time even in a month to visit Cornwall, Wales, Liverpool, Manchester, Ireland or Scotland-all on my bucket list. Forget about taking the Chunnel to Paris or Bruges for a few days.

I've started a "note" and add to it every time I think of a pub, shop, town, restaurant, museum, park, bakery, market I want to revisit or see for the first time. Seven weeks out from my trip and I've already accumulated about 36 items on my list, many of them day trips out from London, and possibly a few overnights. Clearly I won't be able to do all these 'local' things, even in a month. But, here's one-the Grenadier Pub.


No comments:

Post a Comment